Most of the people at some point or the other require the help of lawyers. There are many agencies like Harrison Barnes Attorney Recruiter that help one to find lawyers. However, assessing them is in the client’s hands.
Main features of any lawyer
- Problems solving skills
- Adequate knowledge
- Intelligence that goes beyond books
Additional skills that a good attorney would definitely have
- Communicate: Articulate oral and writing skills should be there in an attorney. Rather than this, they should also be good listeners as a huge part of arguing in a convincing manner in court is knowing what the opposition is saying.
- Judgement: A good lawyer should have the ability to assume or draw a logical and reasonably legit conclusion. One should not only have a good judgment towards the opposition but they should also know their own weakness, assess them, judge them and rectify them
- Analytical skills: Only after a lawyer has analysed the situation correctly will he be able to draw out something logical and relevant from it. Analytical skills come in handy when the need to evaluate arrives.
- Research: The main chunk of winning the case is knowing one’s material and finding loopholes in the oppositions’ argument. Heavy research work needs to be done to prepare jaw breaking strategies. Finding information for a case is like finding a fish in a huge ocean.
- People analysing skills: An excellent attorney would definitely have some at par social and people skills. After all, in law most of the times an attorney needs to play the man rather than the case. Various skills are required to manipulate people or even just convince victims or witnesses to speak up.
- Creativity: On reaching a dead end it may get difficult for average lawyers to get out. Therefore, finding creative ways to help the situation is necessary.
A client should judge an attorney’s greatness on the basis of the above point and make an informed decision.